8 July 2011

So long, Mrs Fenech Adami

It was one of those moments which, as it was happening, I knew would be imprinted in my mind in detail for as long as I lived. Yesterday morning a doctor came out of the ITU ward and told us that overnight Simon had made substantial progress on all fronts. Above all, he was now conscious for the first time in three days. Without hearing the rest of what the doctor had to say I walked on air into the ward.

I happened to pass by Eddie Fenech Adami heading in the opposite direction. His first words were, 'It's a matter of hours now'. I was walking to embrace a life returned to us from the brink and he to be next to one ebbing away. Fate.

At this moment, I wish to pay tribute to Mrs Fenech Adami by saying absolutely nothing in public. That is the way she lived her life and found a special place in so many hearts. Without publicity. She loved to talk to people. But only face to face, one to one. So long, Mrs Fenech Adami.

5 comments:

Imbocca said...

Well put.

Anonymous said...

A wise and simple woman never to be forgotten!

Jozzie said...

For those, like me, who had the honour to get to know this great lady who in the humblest of manners and with her sincere disposition was close to the Maltese... well, what can I say? We have lost a wonderful woman, a real lady. May she be an example to all. We shall never forget you, dearest Mary.

Ale said...

Mara fuq in-nisa the likes of whom we will never see again

Rachel Attard said...

She was a strong woman made of steel. Rest in peace Mrs. Fenech Adami.