7 July 2011

Rock is life, Simon's life

Excellent news from the ITU in the bowels of Mater Dei Hospital. Over the last twelve hours, my 35-year old nephew Simon, who suffered a massive heart attack on Sunday, made a fantastic recovery. He is conscious for the first time since Sunday. We're not out of the woods yet, but the sunlight is visible ahead.

When I was able to speak to him for the first time this morning, he was still groggy after four days of being pumped with sedatives. His first words to me were, 'This is weird, where am I'. I told him, 'What is weird is that you are pulling back to life. You are a rocker and rock is life.' He smiled gently, slowly lifted his hand and made the rockers' sign. It was one of the happiest and most beautiful moments of my life. 

By this afternoon he became much more alert and the jokes got blacker, as they do in our family. Although he's off sedatives, he's rigged up with an intravenous tube filled with morphine. The tube is linked up to a hand button and when he feels some pain he presses it to release a bit of morphine into his system. On seeing this I told him, 'Simon, this is a rocker's dream: drugs on tap'. I loved seeing his face mask fog up.

Jokes aside, I would like to thank everyone who visited, called or sent messages of comfort. There is no way I could repay your kindness. And I will never forget who you are.

On a final note, Simon lost his mother, my younger sister Sandra, when he was eight years old. Today, of all days, would have been her 54th birthday. Some things just don't have an explanation.

6 comments:

Matthew Sultana said...

Hope is the last to die Lou... in thoughts and prayers with you and your dear sisters, to whom in particular I send my heartfelt regards...

Jacques René Zammit said...

Awguri ta' fejqan ta' malajr lil Simon.

Tonio said...

Lou Saw you this morning but felt rude to ask... Glad things are looking up for Simon and all your family....

Hang in there buddy... God be with him and may he rock again.

Orietta said...

You were in our thoughts and prayers since last Sunday. Lou, for my mum your family is her family, and we felt so tense this last four days. Since this morning mum kept talking of your beloved sister Sandra and believe it or not she felt that today on her birthday something will happen to Simon. And thanks to our Lord we have SIMON back with us.

Loving thoughts and best regards to all your family especially your mother Maria.

Orietta

Anonymous said...

hope he gets better soon

Mario Zammit said...

Very glad that things started changing for the better for Simon and for all the family.