4 July 2011

How is she?

"How is she?" I wrote in an sms to Beppe Fenech Adami yesterday morning. I was anxious to know how his mother was faring. Who could have told me that within less than twelve hours I would be at Mater Dei's ITU, next door to the Fenech Adami family, waiting for news about a member of my own family. Simon, my 35-year old nephew, suffered a massive heart attack. Following a long interminable night, he is still in a "stable but critical condition".

Intermittently, members of both families popped out to console each other. In the middle of the night, Eddie himself came over to see how we were doing. Even during such a dark moment for him he found the strength to be there to share ours. The mark of a true gentleman. When as a politician he used to say that what distinguishes the Maltese is that we care, he was speaking from the heart, his own heart.

3 comments:

mindseyedub said...

keep up strong lou...

Angelica said...

Keeping her and your newphew in prayer.

Jozzie said...

Eddie is a great man, I have always seen the humane side of a man who fought hard to bring us out of the "dark ages" of the 70s and 80s... I speak from experience. I know the kicks and the battering of those who in 1984 ravaged the University and the Curia. Those things cannot be forgotten, but Eddie was there to lead us on and not to fear.