14 November 2011

Ronnie Banker?

Ronnie Banker behind Lorry Sant
It was pointed out to me in the unlikeliest of places. On the weekend I was strolling with some friends through the magnificent Piazza della Signoria in Florence.

Completely out of season, the sun was shining brightly on the Palazzo and David-the-copy's virility as the Uffizzi peered snobbishly from the corner.

When the conversation turned to politics, one of my friends said something which was completely new to me.
In the 1980's, Ronnie Pellegrini, one of Lorry Sant's thugs, was a director of Lombard Bank. Presumably, as a government appointee.

With the Banca Toscana office staring elegantly at me from the side of the square, it was almost impossible to get my mind around this fact. 

Ronnie Pellegrini, a bank director? I would have loved to hear his contributions to Lombard Bank board meetings in the 1980s. 

It is almost as mind bending as getting to grips with his role in the Partit Laburista today.

3 comments:

R said...

It is almost as scary as a cabinet meeting headed by Joseph Muscat.....

R

Observer said...

You reference to Pellegrini as a "thug" is not only vile and completely untrue, it is also libellous. If I were him, I would sue.

BondiBlog said...

@ Observer - he does not sue because he knows that I can prove it in court and I would do it with relish.