17 August 2011

This is not 15 October, 1979

MaltaToday takes a holiday
MaltaToday was not published today (Wednesday).

The official reason is that their employees needed a holiday. A holiday? Newspapers don't take holidays, people do. But I cannot say I was surprised. It is yet another confirmation that it is not a newspaper. It is a public vehicle for private envy. Their envy took a break, not their employees.

Incidentally, I am not taken in by the official reason. They probably did not have enough advertising as usual and decided to cut their losses for a week. The Wednesday edition has already been whittled down to the size of a church bulletin you find in the pews on Sunday. Which is rather appropriate given that it is now official that their circulation is less than that of Lehen is-Sewwa.

One last thought on the matter, When The Times building and its printing press were burned down by Labour thugs on 15 October, 1979, the first thing that the directors and editors thought of was how they were going to go to print. With the flames still snaking up around them on St Paul Street, their thoughts still went to their readers. And indeed they managed to go to print that night, using another printing press.

In the same situation, the MaltaToday directors would probably have first rushed off to collect their insurance money.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Hi Lou,

Could you please elaborate on why it is a public vehicle for private envy?

Thanks

BondiBlog said...

Dave, all you need to do is read it.

silvio said...

I do not consider myself a fan of Saviour Balzan,but I must admit that we need a newspaper like Malta Today,considering that all the other locals lean unashamedly, to one or other of the political parties
The important thing is not how many,but who,reads it.
Considering the agitation that is caused,whenever he comes out with something HOT, I should think he is reaching his aims.

BondiBlog said...

Silvio, the only hot thing that comes out of MaltaToday is air. Read this and see whether or not 'Hot MT' will report it: http://daphnecaruanagalizia.com/2011/08/16/jeffrey-pullicino-orlando-a-whopping-great-case-of-the-male-menopause/

Dave said...

Ok Lou.

Let me ask you a simple question - on the whole, do you think you are biased towards the Nationalist Party in your programs, yes or no?

On another subject completely, I recall in the early 90s you had a program on TV before the Pjazza 3 days - was the name 'Dahrek mal-hajt?' or something like that or am I confusing things? We were mentioning it during a dinner with friends but no one could remember the name!

silvio said...

As a matter of fact I read what Daphne wrote,and I think it was great reading.
Come on let's be reasonable,you can't expect Saviour to comment on something ,that according to Daphne,he was involved in. But on the other hand aren't the Times,Malta Independent etc.etc,also guilty of not reporting it as well?
I repeat I am no fan of Saviour and will never be,but I still think that he is useful.

BondiBlog said...

Dave, I do not judge myself. For 19 years on TVM, I always trusted viewers to make that call. And, how shall I put it, I can't complain.

Anonymous said...

@ Silvio: what hot news? You have to see just how much is fact, how much is fiction and how much is manipulated evidence. Just to give you an example, once friends of mine, as an exercise on audio editing, got the then Archbishop Mercieca to speak in favour of war! HIs words, yes but completely maniulated. That, in a nutshell is MT.