23 August 2011

So long, Daddu

Joseph Pace, Bishop of Gozo
Mons. Dwardu Bondi, my uncle, peacefully passed away this morning, aged 97.

When he was a young boy he had completely lost his hearing. But that never stopped him from leading a full life, which included extensive travelling. He tended his extensive vegetable garden till his late seventies.

For many years he was the private secretary to Joseph Pace, Bishop of Gozo between 1945 - 1972.

I used to tease him that it was his deafness which helped him survive the cut-throat power politics of the Gozitan curia corridors. A perfect lip reader, he used to crack a slow, wry, Sir Humphrey-like smile.

So long Daddu, as my youngest daughter Hannah used to call him.

5 comments:

Mario Zammit said...

Truely sorry!! May he rest in peace!

Christian said...

May he rest in peace.

samuel azzopardi said...

Jiddispjacini hafna, lungi giorni, ir-Rabat tilef karattru...

Pepprina78 said...

lunghi to be pedantic...

Charles Mizzi said...

I'm sorry to hear the loss of your uncle Dun Dward as we knew him. For ages he and your dad Joe were close friends of my dad. On village festa sundays I remember Dun Dward having dinner at home. It was an annual event we all looked forward to. He saw us all brothers and sisters growing up and eventually became a friend to all. He had a most wonderful character. I never missed stopping to talk to him, no matter how busy I was. Being deaf was no problem at all, speaking softly to him was enough, just let him see your lips while talking. His chats were always pleasant,always ending with a joke or something funny leaving me laughing or smiling alone. At his age my dad is not healthy enough to receive such bad news though from time to time he asks us if we had news about his friend. Surely we will never forget such a strong and sweet character like Dun Dward's. Rest in peace my dear friend.