13 October 2011

The Maltese Truman Show

When I was asked whether I believed in god I had a choice. To either tell the truth or to lie. The same choice was availablem when I was asked whether Joseph Muscat has so far convinced me to vote for him. 

In both cases,I chose to tell the truth.

Now lying would have delivered more bountiful benefits if these are measured by the yardstick of keeping up appearances in a small, densely populated, Mediterranean island state.

If I had lied, the PL would not have been able to attack me for saying that so far they don't have my vote. And - bizarre and shocking as it is - neither would the progressive and moderate party have been able to invoke the wrath of god against me on the front page of their newspaper.

More generally, lying would have spared me having to go against the grain of an entire culture based on protecting the facade at all costs. And we all know what the facade works. The higher and more solid it is, the more it can hide the elaborate mental, moral and political gymnastics behind it.

I am glad I did not lie. The Truman Show was a great movie. I would prefer not to live in it, though.




1 comment:

Malcolm Farrugia said...

Lou, altough politicaly we are definetly on opposing river banks, I must say that the religious spin was not moderate nor progressive at all. You have all the right to question religious beliefs and walking away from any religious system as much as you might see fit. Regarding the fact that you said publicly that your vote will go to P.N, well it's no news at all, you have all the right in the world to express yourself in public as much as I do. As I mentioned afore my vote will go to the labour party, so by no means I am supporting your right of argument and freedom of expression for political reasons, but purely for the fact that being a public figure you have all the right to refute any dogmas which go agianst your ideology!